Let's keep in touch! Sign up for email alerts
Susie's 6 Decorating Tips for Going Coastal
Want to capture the breezy, beachy look?
- Make the view your focal point - I don’t use a lot of artwork because I think of the view as a moving picture. Then I bring the outside in with lots of natural elements, like shells and hardwood floors.
- Start with a white palette—Different shades of white such as natural linen, pure whites and linen whites—and complement it with soft pastel-washed blues, grays and greens.
- Add architectural elements—Screen doors, cabinets, mantelpieces, mirrors—out of original old wood that’s chipped and peeled. I’m all about imperfection.
- Slipcover your upholstered pieces. To me, living by the water is all about beauty, function and comfort. The aim is not to worry, to be able to enjoy your life. If you come inside in a wet bathing suit or track in sand, just wash the slipcovers.
- Pick one great piece to show off when you walk into the house—a huge mirror or interesting armoire, for example.
- Don’t get matchy-matchy. Don’t match the end tables, for example. Instead, choose one-of-a-kind elements.